Basement Bathroom Mini-Project, Part 1

Our house has a crummy little bathroom in a corner of the basement. We decided to try and spruce it up a bit. We didn’t want to spend significant time or money on this, so we consider this mostly just a band-aid project.

The bathroom is not original to the house, it was added sometime later, the key giveaway being that you can see where the original concrete basement floor was busted up to run the new drain pipes under the slab. It was patched particularly poorly. The completely uneven floors are very problematic, and are the primary reason we pursued a band-aid, rather than something we could really be proud of.

I wrote about this bathroom once before. When we bought the house in 2011, the electrical panel was located in the bathroom, and we were required to relocate it. We had to mess around with the electrical a bit more that one time we built a garage. When we started this project in mid-November, this is what the bathroom looked like:

This spacious bathroom features both a toilet and a sink.

This spacious bathroom features both a toilet and a sink.

The walls were an unlovely sky blue, with shit (literally?) splattered all over them. There were no base mouldings anywhere in the room. There used to be a drop ceiling, and I despise drop ceilings, so it came out and revealed a lot of unsightly stuff, including the tops of the drywall which were poorly finished and uneven.

Top of drywall is an ungodly mess. And wires everywhere.

Top of drywall is an ungodly mess. And wires everywhere.

Here is a hole in the drywall where the electric panel used to be.

drywall needs patching.

drywall needs patching.

The first order of business was to patch this hole in the drywall, and install a jamb extension on the door to remove a weird jog in the wall and to allow mouldings to cover gaps around the doorway. We also threw a coat of primer on all the walls.

Patched Drywall

Patched Drywall. Primed walls.

Door jamb extension, 0" reveal.

Door jamb extension, 0″ reveal.

Full door jamb extension.

Full door jamb extension.

Lots of wires. This wall has some lovely paneling.

Lots of wires. This wall has some lovely paneling.

I talked my wife into giving the open joist look a shot, which means we won’t be putting a new ceiling in here, we’re just going to expose all the ugliness, clean it up as best we can, and go with it. I mentioned more about this strategy when I wrote about painting the other room in our basement. But I did really want to install base and crown moulding to finish off the walls nicely.

Here is our progress so far. All the mouldings have been installed and have one coat of paint. The crown mouldings we’re using are really just identical to our base mouldings but upside down.

Crown Mouldings and Open Joists

Crown Mouldings and Open Joists

Crown Moulding.

Crown Moulding.

Toilet Removed. Base Moulding Installed. Goofy Pipe Remains.

Toilet Removed. Base Moulding Installed. Goofy Pipe Remains.

Door & Crown Mouldings

Door & Crown Mouldings

Door & Crown Mouldings

Door & Crown Mouldings

It took a lot of messing around to get the mouldings on, with the floors so wonky, and with goofy things like the pipe sticking out of the corner in the middle of the base moulding. Still left to do is to finish painting, clean up the wires (many of which will just be removed), paint the floor, & reinstall the toilet. Hopefully we’ll wrap this project up before Christmas.

2 comments to Basement Bathroom Mini-Project, Part 1

  • I’m just catching up on your last few posts. Thanks for your comment on my blog to remind me to get my act together. Adrian will love this-he has been searching houzz for man cave photos all weekend. We have an equally strange bathroom in our basement that needs work. Makes me cringe. I think someone was living down there as some point (college student I’m sure)

    I like what you did with the regrading. I’m already thinking about spring.

Leave a Reply

  

  

  

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>