Now that we’re done hiring people to work on the garage, we actually have to start doing things ourselves. Our first task was pretty easy. We just needed to move a fence post about 3 feet. You can see in this photo of the old garage the fence on the left was about 3 feet from the old garage, just enough space for the gate (which had rotted off its hinges).
However, since the new garage is a few feet larger than the old garage (and further from the property line thanks to MPLS zoning codes), the space between the end of the fence and the edge of the new garage was less than 1′. Since we need to be able to walk through here, we needed to move that fence post out of the way.
The whole fence is a little bit rotten and wobbly, and it will all end up getting replaced eventually, but building a new fence is a little outside the scope of our current project. And since we knew that moving the fence post would be a pretty simple job, we just decided to move it.
The first step was to dig a hole underneath the fence generally where we wanted the post to be. We also cut one of those paper tube things to about 13″ long. Nothing magical about that length, that’s just what it turned out to be.
Next, we dropped the paper tube thing in the hole. If this was going to be a more permanent fence, I would have put a bit of effort into trying to make sure the paper tube was plumb. But not for this old fence. We just dropped it in the hole and called it good.
Next, we removed a couple of the fence slats, just to give us a bit of room to work with. After that, we used a reciprocating saw to cut through the two horizontal fence members. We just eyeballed the bottom one right above the tube, then used a level to make sure we were cutting the top one in the same place.
We decided to use the type of concrete that doesn’t require pre-mixing. We aligned the post where we wanted it. Mel held it in place, making sure to hold it plumb (using that orange level strapped to the side of the post) while I poured the dry concrete mix into the paper tube. We back filled the dirt around the outside of the paper tube, and it was already pretty solid. The dry concrete mix was capable of holding up the post on its own. We turned the hose on and wet down the dry concrete mix. The dry mix soaked up the water and within about 20 minutes, this thing was pretty solidly in place.
The last step was just to screw the horizontal fence pieces onto the new post, and hang another couple fence slats on the end. Here’s a view of the finished fence.
And here’s what it looked like when we were done.
Next up, we’re going to get things ready for pouring some concrete. We’ll rent a masonry saw, cut a bit out of our driveway, dig a bit, pour some gravel, set some forms, and within a week or two, we’ll be ready to pour a bit more concrete.
Wish us luck.